Saturday, September 21, 2013

Blueberries, Baking, and a Helpful Toddler

The Munchkin loves to "help."

Be it doing laundry, or picking up his toys, etc, he just loves to be involved. And I am 100% OK with that. One day he will roll his eyes at me when I ask him to clean his room, but luckily that day is still far ahead of us. :)

So this morning we had a "first" -- he helped me bake a blueberry coffee cake for breakfast.
(See this link for the recipe.)

First we got the pan out of the cabinet:


And then we sprayed the pan with cooking spray:


Then we measured out all the ingredients. This was the Munchkin's first experience with flour, and it will not be the last. :) I still remember when my mom would pull out the giant Tupperware container of flour and let my sister and I play with it using cups and spoons. Good times.


Once the dough was all mixed up, we spread it evenly into the pan, and topped it with the crumb topping. I think this was the Munchkin's favorite part. One corner of the cake had a LOT of crumb topping. :)

The one thing he didn't get to help with was putting the cake in the oven. We're still working on not touching the hot stove, so it didn't sound like a good idea to me.

But here we are, proud of our finished cake!


And it sure was delicious. Just ask him:


He was silently devouring his piece for several minutes straight. If something captures his attention for that long, I know he likes it!

And in true "helping" fashion, he even helped me clean up the kitchen afterwards! A big part of Mommyhood is cleaning up messes. An even bigger part, though, is allowing your children to make messes. Moms (and Dads, too!) need to encourage their children to want to help and want to learn. So if we make a mess in the mean time, it's OK! We'll clean it up. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment