Saturday, October 6, 2012

No-Knead Salt Rise Bread



Have I mentioned before that I love Pinterest? Well I do. Since I've joined I spend much more time doing domestic-y things. Just ask the hubby!

Now, I know that not everyone actually does 100% of the things that they 'pin.' If they are honest, in all reality it's probably more like 5-10%.

But when all of your friends are pinning about all of these wonderful crazy things that you never bothered to try before, you start to think, "hey, even I can make my own taco seasoning!" and other such nonsense.

So, without further ado...

Today I was inspired to bake the bread recipe found here.

Now, I have a bread machine. It is one of my favorite things in my kitchen. If I had to choose, I would keep it over my crockpot (and that's saying something!). So I can make bread in an hour, without kneading anything. Why would I need to try any other ways to make bread, you ask?

Because this bread is CHEAP.

Bread machine recipes require quite a bit of yeast, especially if you use the quick recipes.

This recipe only requires

3 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 1/2 cups water

And that's IT. Well, there is the additional flour required to keep the dough from sticking to your counter. But it still comes out a lot cheaper than recipes that require cooking oil, butter, or additional yeast. And, even though it takes a long time from start to finish, it's really easy to make. (See end of post for a copy/paste version of the recipe!)

First, mix up all your dry ingredients in a bowl. Add water and mix until dough forms a messy ball. Cover with plastic wrap and leave for 12-18 hours (do NOT refrigerate).


Preheat oven to 450. Once oven is hot, place a crock or dutch oven with a lid into the oven for 30 minutes. (I've discovered that one of my Fiesta Ware platters fits the top of my small crockpot perfectly!)

While your pot is heating, dump the dough out onto a heavily floured surface, shape into a ball, and let sit.


Remove the pot from the oven, take off the lid, and transfer the dough to the pot. Replace the lid, and bake the whole thing for 30 minutes. Then remove the lid, and bake the pot and bread for an additional 15 minutes.

Take pot and bread out of the oven and carefully transfer the bread to a cooling rack. Let fully cool before slicing. This part is the hardest, because it smells and sounds (crusty is a sound!) amazing.


Here's the recipe for those who want to copy and paste. Or you can go print off the original directions from this blog

No-Knead Salt Rise Bread


3 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 1/2 cups water

  1. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add water and mix until dough forms a messy ball. Cover with plastic wrap and leave for 12-18 hours (do NOT refrigerate). 
  2. Preheat oven to 450. Once oven is hot, place a crock or dutch oven with a lid into the oven for 30 minutes. 
  3. While your pot is heating, dump the dough out onto a heavily floured surface, shape into a ball, and let sit for 30 minutes.
  4. Remove the pot from the oven, take off the lid, and transfer the dough to the pot. Replace the lid, and bake the whole thing for 30 minutes. Then remove the lid, and bake the pot and bread for an additional 15 minutes. 
  5. Take pot and bread out of the oven and carefully transfer the bread to a cooling rack. Let fully cool before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment