Sunday, August 19, 2012

Road Trips and Grocery Hauls

We've just made it back from a whirlwind trip to Huntington, WV. By "whirlwind" I mean in just over 24 hours we drove there and back, visited with family (stayed with the Hubby's brother and his wife, and their three amazing kids), heard a great lesson about the Grace of God, slept for a few hours, visited some more, and did a HUGE Aldi grocery trip.

As I've mentioned before, the closest Aldi to us is over an hour away. The savings don't justify the trip there. But if we're already in the area... you can bet that I'm going to take advantage of an Aldi.

By "taking advantage," I mean buying over $175 worth of food!

*Side note* - We have been planning this Aldi trip since we knew we were driving to Huntington, so I've been making the most meticulous list for weeks now. Adding what we need, writing down how many of each thing, etc. And what did I do when we left? Forgot the Mother of All Lists in my meal planning binder. Sigh. But apparently mulling over things for weeks makes you memorize them, because the one and only thing that I forgot off of the list was dish sponges, and those I can get at Dollar Tree.

ANYway, back my point...

Those of you who shop Aldi know it takes a LOT of food to add up to $175.

114 items, to be exact.


But now my freezer, fridge, and pantry are stocked up enough foods to keep us going for probably close to a month (besides buying eggs, milk, and more formula). Woo!


There's still plenty of room in the freezer for Deer Season, though...

Well, I should say that my *counter tops* are stocked with tons of food... I haven't yet taken the time to put it all away in a neat and OCD fashion yet. I don't want to ruin my perfectly organized pantry.


:)

How is the monthly meal planning going for you all?

Last night/this morning I had the hardest time coming up with what to make for Sunday lunch, because nothing on my meal list sounded like something I wanted to make, plus nothing was crock-pot friendly. I'm going to have to find some more easy-peasy recipes for Sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment