Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Starting off September with Strawberry Pie

The end of August was a whirlwind for us, so I apologize for taking so long to post anything new! 

We had a fabulous Labor Day picnic with family to start off the month of September. Does it get any better than good food, good friends and family, and good weather?

How about all those things plus a delicious strawberry pie.


I made two of these for the picnic, and we only brought home a couple of slices. Which were devoured within 24 hours. In fact, I had to make two so the Hubby would agree to share the pie with others. 

This pie is easy, delicious, and a nice cool treat for those last days of summer.

I'm a strawberry pie snob.

I'll order it for dessert if a restaurant has it, but with each bite I am comparing it to my mom's homemade strawberry pie.

My mom made this when I was growing up. I was a SUPER picky eater, and really didn't eat any kind of pie at all. 

I loved this pie. 

The glaze gels up really nice, so if you make it right the slices hold their shape. I know you can buy tubs of glaze at the store, but this is so much better. Trust me.

Please excuse my messy homemade pie crust. I need to learn how to make it pretty. If anyone has tips or tricks, please share!

Strawberry Pie

1 c. water
1 c. sugar
3 T. cornstarch
1 pinch of salt
4 T. strawberry jello
2 cups whole strawberries
Baked pie crust (8-9 in.)

Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in small saucepan. Add water and stir well, eliminating all clumps.


Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. 




Reduce heat and cook until mixture thickens and looks clear (about 4-5 minutes).




Remove from heat. Add strawberry jello, stirring until it is fully dissolved.



Arrange strawberries in pie crust.



Pour glaze over the strawberries. Make sure that each berry gets coated in glaze.



Chill 4-5 hours (or overnight) before serving. Serve alone or with whipped cream.





No comments:

Post a Comment